Monday, January 13, 2020

New lining for a shoulder bag

The lining is more like interfacing than proper fabric
A few years ago, my parents got me a bag which they'd got embroidered with my name while they were on holiday.

The embroidery is really nice and the bag is a useful size, but the manufacturing quality of the bag isn't great - I had to reattach the strap as it frayed and detached within a week of getting it, and after a few years use the lining was all ripped so I kept losing things inside the bag.
So I decided to re line it with a bit of fabric I had (it was a fat quarter from a bundle I got a while ago)
Step one - remove the existing lining, detach the strap and prepare two rectangles of fabric for the new lining
 Step two - hem the top edge of the lining fabric which will be attached to the opening of the bag
Step three - sew on the fabric wrongly to the bag so that there are raw edges inside the bag
Oh no! 
Step four - spend an evening unpicking all the seams from step three (you can skip steps three and four! I'm bad at this)
Step five - pin and sew together the two rectangles of lining fabric right sides together
Step six - pin lining to the opening of the bag front and back so you can sew around it in a circle and carefully sew it.

Step seven - reattach the straps

And it's done! Looks much better than it did before, I'm pleased with how it turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment